Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna

Travelling to Australia - Quick guide


Outside of consular, passport and notarial services, which are provided by the Australian Consulate-General, we are unable to provide further information than is outlined below.

Please also note the Australian Consulate-General does not manage enquiries relating to visas or entry-exit requirements to Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada and we are unable to escalate applications or issues with the authorities in Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada.

Please read carefully all the information provided below and contact relevant authorities directly.


Home Affairs (Immigration-Citizenship-Border Protection)

Travel advice for Australia from your country of citizenship-nationality

Driving in Australia

Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)

Biosecurity and Quarantine

Back from Australia (proof of exit and travel records)

Tourism websites

Jobs in Australia


Home Affairs - Immigration, Citizenship and Border Protection

Immigration, including visas and citizenship applications, and Border Protection are managed by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

Home Affairs does not have an office at the Australian Consulate-General in Noumea. The Australian Consulate-General in Noumea has no visa or other Home Affairs function and does not process visa applications or respond to visa or other Home Affairs enquiries.

For information on travel to and from Australia, including immigration (visas), Australian citizenship, border protection, and how to contact Home Affairs, please read the Home Affairs information available at Home Affairs - Immigration Citizenship and Border Protection.


For information on regulations and authorisations regarding the use of drones in Australia or outside of Australia, please check Travelling with your drone | Civil Aviation Safety Authority (

For information on studying in Australia, please also check Study in Australia.

For information on doing business with Australia and trade information and organisations in Australia, please also check Doing business with Australia.


Travel advice for Australia from your country of citizenship-nationality

Before travelling to Australia, check the travel advice of your country of citizenship-nationality for recommendations made by your country to its citizens travelling overseas.

Canadian nationals should check the Canadian travel advice for Australia at Travel advice and advisories for Australia and follow Canadian recommendations.

French nationals should seek up-to-date information and assistance from their representations in Australia (French Embassy in Canberra or the French Consulate-General in Sydney) and should also check all French recommendations (in French) including: 


Driving in Australia

Information on driving and licence regulations in Australia, New Caledonia and Wallis-and-Futuna is available under Driving Licences.


Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)

International travellers (including Australians) might be able to claim a GST (Goods and Services Tax) and/or WET (Wine Equalization Tax) refund for some goods bought in Australia that you can take on the plane or ship. Further information and process available at Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS).

Biosecurity and Quarantine

Australian Biosecurity and Quarantine control luggage and parcels in ports and airports in Australia.  

For further information, please follow the link to the Australian Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF), including information on Travelling to Australia - DAFF ( and the Australian Border Force Duty free concessions ( information (in foreign languages including French).


Back from Australia (proof of exit and travel records)

If you require a certified copy of your passport as proof of exit from Australia, the consular section of the Australian Consulate-General may be able to provide you with this service.  For further information, please follow the link Notarial Services, including witnessing, certifying issuing legal documents.

You may also request an International movement records from the Australian Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs).



Plan your trip with the official Tourism Australia website.

Also check out the tourism commission website for each Australian State and Territory:


Jobs in Australia

The Australian Consulate-General is not able to assist people seeking information on employment, migration or visas, accommodation, financial, legal or commercial operations.

A number of websites offer job placements or employment opportunities in Australia generally for Australian citizens or residents holding a visa allowing them to work in Australia. Regulatory information on immigration, work and visas is available from the Australian Department of Home Affairs. People wishing to undertake a workplace-based or professional development training in Australia must consult the website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs for information on studying, training or accompanying a young student.

Some employment websites in Australia may be able to assist you:

APS Jobs - Gateway to the Australian Public Service
Job Search Australia
Job Search Indeed
SEEK - Australia
Workabout Australia - Earn While You Travel

For lists of French companies based or operating in Australia, please check out the websites of Business France, the French-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FACCI) or the AUSTRALIE | Direction générale du Trésor (


For any other information, please check out our Useful Links.