Australian Consulate-General
New Caledonia, Wallis and Futuna



Outside of consular, passport and notarial services, which are provided by the Australian Consulate-General, we are unable to provide further information than is outlined below.

Please also note the Australian Consulate-General does not manage enquiries relating to visas, immigration-citizenship or entry-exit requirements to Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada and we are unable to escalate applications or issues with the authorities in Australia, New Caledonia or Wallis-and-Futuna, or Canada.

Please read carefully all the information provided below and contact relevant authorities directly.



Federal Elections and Overseas Voting

Australia’s electoral laws do not allow for online voting.

Voting while overseas

Each election has an enrolment deadline that occurs approximately a week after an election is announced. If you are not correctly enrolled by this deadline, you may not be able to vote.

You cannot enrol with an overseas address. You must enrol in the electoral division you were entitled to enrol in before you left Australia.

Please visit the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) website for information and procedures for overseas voting eligibility and forms. The AEC's Twitter account @AusElectoralCom provides regular updates on the administration of federal elections. Voters can also check their current electoral enrolment online.

Registering as an overseas voter

If you are already enrolled to vote and are living overseas or plan to be overseas at the time of an election, you may register as an overseas voter

You will receive a postal voting pack that includes all the information you need to complete your ballot papers and return them to the AEC.

Once you receive your postal voting pack, complete and return your ballot papers as soon as possible. The AEC can only legally accept ballot papers into the count up to 13 days after election day – the sooner you complete and send your postal vote, the more likely it can be counted.

If you are unable to vote

Voting in a federal election is not compulsory for Australians overseas.

If you are unable to vote, you should complete and submit an overseas notification form

If you do not inform the AEC, the AEC will write to you asking you to explain why you did not vote.

State and Territory Elections

Please contact your state or territory electoral authority for information about registering and voting in a state/territory elections while overseas.

Voting at the Australian Consulate-General in Noumea

In the event, the Australian Consulate-General in Noumea is open for in-person votes or for the collection of postal votes, information will be posted at the top of this page.

Note: Registration forms listed on this page should be submitted directly to the AEC or state/territory authority (by mail, fax or electronically) and cannot be forwarded through Australian missions overseas.